Welcome to our International Middle School (IMS)
The mission of the International Middle School at GAIS is to provide an outstanding international education focused on inquiry-based learning with the goal of fostering confident, respectful, creative and responsible lifelong learners and global thinkers.
The International Middle School implements the International Baccalaureate: Middle Years Programme (IB MYP), a modern international educational program that fosters the development and education of the whole person, through the understanding of concepts, the mastery of skills needed in the modern world, and the development of positive attitudes.
- Encourages students to embrace and understand the connections between traditional subjects and the real world
- Promotes critical and reflective thinking, writing, and communication
- Helps students navigate adolescence where uncertainty and questioning require an education that provides discipline, challenging standards, skills, regular feedback, creativity and flexibility to develop life-long learners
International families and students who have had some German, French, or Spanish exposure will find the small class sizes, rigorous international math and science curriculum and GAIS community a welcome choice for middle school.
Suitable for English- only speaker
Applicants to the middle school can be English-only speakers. The school’s courses are a mix between those taught exclusively in English (or bilingually) and those which students can opt to take in either English or German.
21st Century Learner
Life in the 21st century places many changing demands on adolescent students. They are at a crucial period of personal, social, physical and intellectual development, of uncertainty and of questioning.
The IB MYP is designed to help them find a sense of belonging in the ever-changing and increasingly interrelated world around them and to foster a positive attitude to learning. The MYP at IMS provides the students with:
- Holistic learning through an interdisciplinary approach
- Integrated, concept-based learning
- The ability to solve large-scale, complex problems
- Confidence and strong communication skills
- Intercultural awareness and values
- Fluency with computer technology
- Active community service
The Middle School’s small class sizes and nurturing environment ensure that the teachers and staff can give students individual attention.
Differentiated teaching is practiced in the Middle School, and individual learning plans can be developed where necessary with parents and students to accelerate learning.
Both the individual attention and the IB program allow for students to progress quickly. Our student to teacher ratio is 10:1.
The IB is being embraced by many local schools at the high school level. GAIS currently has the only bilingual international IB MYP program on the San Francisco Peninsula. Students who graduate from our Middle School go on to local private and public, as well as German, high schools.
The IB MYP program promotes independent learners who are able to succeed in large and small high schools alike.