Hort & After School Care
GAIS offers an after school program called Hort. This program runs from the end of school to 6 pm on all school days, and is offered on some holidays and days when there is no school (but not all, e.g. Hort is not offered on conference days or Thanksgiving). Additionally, we offer Hort during the fall, winter, and spring break, from 8:30 am – 6 pm. The program is open to all children enrolled at GAIS from preschool to Grade 8.
Our program consists of two sections:
- Preschool & Kindergarten Hort (Vorschule)
- School Hort (Grades 1 – 8)
Please read more on the program in our slide-menu below. To sign-up your children please fill out the online application. If you have further questions you are welcome to contact our Admissions and School Services Manager Uschi Waite at +1 650 324 8617 or [email protected].
- Sign-Up & Rules
Sign-Up & Rules
- Children can be signed-up for Hort by filling out the online application here. If you have questions please feel free to contact our Admissions and School Services Manager, Uschi Waite at +1-650-324-8617 or [email protected].
- Hort sign-ups during breaks and holidays also need to be made with the Admissions Manager. A monthly Hort contract does not include holidays and breaks, so please sign up for these separately if you need them; additional fees apply. Do not assume that your child is automatically signed up.
- Vacation and holidays fill quickly, so be sure to plan ahead. Make sure you know which non-school days do not have Hort/day care offered. The School Calendar 2013/14 shows the school holidays, and whether the Hort is offered or not. If you have any questions please contact our Admissions Manager.
- Sign-ups are based on availability and on a first come first serve basis. Precedence is given to those signing up full-time.
- Hort changes/cancellations need to be made 24 hours in advance to avoid being charged. Hort cancellations are also important to avoid teachers having to look for children that are on the daily list but did not show up.
- To avoid confusion with teachers about whether a child is picked up or not, please do not linger long at pick-up time. Children need to be signed-out when the child is leaving.
- Please make sure that you have an authorization form on file in the office for anyone else who will be picking your child up from Hort.
- Preschool and Kindergarten (Vorschule)
Preschool and Kindergarten Hort (Vorschule)
The Preschool and Kindergarten/Vorschule Hort consists of two groups:
- Younger preschool children
- Older preschool children and Kindergarten/Vorschule children
The Preschool and Vorschule Hort start at 1:45 p.m. The children are offered a quiet time (nap time) in the cloud room (Wolken Zimmer). We provide mats and sheets. The children may bring their own light blankets and stuffed animal. Please put all their belongings in an empty pillow case, clearly labeled with your child’s name, to be kept at school for naptime.
While the younger children are napping, the VS children and some of the preschoolers spend their time in the sun room (Sonnen Zimmer) where they can participate in various activities, and play games.
At 3:30 p.m. both groups get together for a light snack. Snacks include fruits, vegetables, milk with cereal, cheese and crackers which are prepared with the help of the children.
After snack time, the children can choose to stay inside or play outside. the kids also have the choice to go to the gym.
Please use the following number to contact the Preschool/Vorschule Hort team with any urgent matter:
+1 (650) 462-6877.
- School Hort (Grade 1 – 8)
School Hort (Grade 1 – 8)
Our after school program starts usually at 2pm after school, Mondays at 2.45pm. The 1st graders meet with Katharina Hromas-Wood in the Aquarium room for circle time with stories, games or music. After that the children work on their homework. The 2nd-8th graders meet with Zeinab Mukchaiche in the 2B room. The older students are also required to do their homework first. Children who do not have any homework can play in the Dschungel (Jungle) room.
At 3.30pm we meet outside and have a healthy snack together. During that time the kids decide whether they want to participate in an organized activity or have free play time.
The organized activities run from 4 – 5pm and there is always a list located on the table that will tell you where to find your child. From 5 – 6pm there is free play.
- Hort & Afternoon Care Rates
Hort & Afternoon Care Rates
- Billing will be by the 10th of the month for the previous month. Payment is due by the 15th, after that a late fee of $25 will be assessed.
- Monthly sign-ups will be billed half of the monthly rates for August and June.
- Late pick-ups (after 6pm) will be charged a fee of $20 for the first 15 minutes and then plus $1 for each additional minute.
- For a detailed list of our rates please go to Tuition and Fees.